Division Mission: To provide comprehensive and cost-effective legal defense, claims adjudication, insurance coverage, and risk management services to state agencies that serve the citizens of Montana.
Goal: Maintain financial stability of the state property/casualty insurance fund.
- Retain a stable reserve position.
- Deliver fair, consistent insurance premium levels.
- Allocate insurance premiums based on relative loss experience and/or exposure.
Goal: Provide effective and efficient defense for claims and lawsuits filed against the state under the Montana Tort Claims Act.
- Investigate, analyze, and evaluate claims and lawsuits, determine those with merit, and resolve them consistent with the evaluation.
- Consult with state clients to prepare unresolved cases for dismissal or resolution at trial.
Goal: Offer comprehensive, cost-effective property/casualty insurance for Montana state government.
- Obtain broad insurance coverage with favorable terms and conditions.
- Establish reasonable insurance rates through effective bidding practices and appropriate insurance deductibles and limits.
Goal: Assist state agencies in establishing effective risk management programs.
- Conduct inspections of key state properties to identify potential hazards and provide recommendations to affected agencies.
- Promote risk management through incentives.
- Assist state agencies to mitigate losses through consultation, training, and targeted mitigation funding.
Goal: Create and maintain a professional, diverse, and responsive workforce.
- Recruit and retain highly skilled employees with appropriate knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal qualities that enable them to be effective.
- Offer regular mentoring opportunities in a supportive environment.
- Provide meaningful training experiences to increase employee knowledge and skills as resources permit.
Goal: Successfully implement those objectives and tasks in the Governor’s Main Street Montana Project that fall within the authority of the division.
- Work with other agencies to achieve department and division projects set forth in the Main Street Montana Project.