State and university employees who travel abroad are required to participate in the state's foreign insurance program. The coverage applies to directors, officers, and employees of state agencies and universities (excluding students) who are traveling or working outside the United States and Puerto Rico. Individuals that are traveling to Cuba must request permission and submit forms prior to travel. Please contact the Risk Management & Tort Defense Division to obtain required forms and approval by the state’s insurance underwriters before each trip.
- Broker: Alliant Insurance Services.
- Insurance Carrier: State agencies and universities are insured under separate foreign insurance policies through Chubb Insurance Group. State agencies and the university system are both insured under the same insurance policy for foreign special risks through Great American Insurance Companies.
- Term of Coverage: 7/1 to 6/30
- Parties Covered: Directors, officers, and employees but excluding students.
- Coverages and Exclusions: • Foreign Auto Liability and Physical Damage - See Sections III. c. through III. f of the document found here for a summary of insurance coverage provided outside of the United States. Note: State agencies/universities must purchase local vehicle liability insurance if the vehicle will be driven outside of the United States. Further, state agencies must purchase local vehicle comprehensive/collision insurance if required by the laws of the foreign jurisdiction or if the free comprehensive/collision insurance offered through VISA, Hertz, or Enterprise http://rmtd.mt.gov/insurance/autofreesummary.aspx under the state’s term contracts does not apply. In addition to the insurance coverage heretofore mentioned, the division purchases contingent auto insurance which provides coverage above and beyond the coverage purchased in accordance with the laws required by the foreign jurisdiction or the free insurance coverage offered through VISA, Enterprise, Hertz under the state’s term contracts http://rmtd.mt.gov/insurance/autofreesummary.aspx. For a summary of the contingent auto insurance coverage administered by RMTD, click here (PDF) if you are a state employee here (PDF) if you are a university employee.
• Foreign General Liability - Click here (PDF) if you are a state employee or here (PDF) if you are a university employee.
• Foreign Special Risk - Click here (PDF) if you are a state employee or university employee.
• Various other exclusions apply. Travel to countries with trade or economic sanctions is not covered. To obtain information about such countries please visit the U.S. Department of the Treasury website.
- Claim Reporting: To obtain claims assistance for foreign insurance or foreign special risk claims, please contact a staff member at the Risk Management & Tort Defense Division http://rmtd.mt.gov/claims/contactus.aspx.
- For additional information on foreign travel, the following links are provided:
• View the U.S. Department of State - Travel Information
• View the U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Travel Security & Procedures
• View the U.S. Customs & Border Protection - Know Before You Go