A summary of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) insurance coverage, exclusions, and policy information is provided below. This summary does not alter or amend coverage provided in statute or under the state property/casualty insurance program. Specific exclusions, limitations, or conditions may apply. This coverage only applies to select pharmacy interns at the University of Montana. To obtain insurance program requirements or an application for insurance coverage, please contact the Risk Management & Tort Defense Division at (406)444-2421.
- Insurer: NAS Insurance Services and Lloyd’s of London.
- Broker: Alliant Insurance Services.
- Term of Coverage: 7/1 to 6/30 each fiscal year.
- Coverage Territory: This policy applies to claims brought anywhere in the United States. For coverage outside these territories please contact the Risk Management and Tort Defense Division.
- Cause of Loss Covered: Reimbursement for governmental fines associated with violations of HIPAA, multimedia liability, security and privacy liability, privacy regulatory defense and penalties, breach event costs, proactive privacy breach response costs, network asset protection, cyber extortion, and cyber crime.
- Liability Coverage: Reimbursement for defense costs associated with violations of HIPAA.
- Panel Attorneys: 100% reimbursement for fines and defense costs if panel attorneys as selected by NAS insurance services are utilized. Otherwise, applicable costs are reimbursed only to 75%.
- Perils Excluded: The policy has the following primary exclusions among others within the policy itself.
- Insurance disputes.
- Expenses or fines initiated by insured.
- Defense costs associated with criminal prosecution.
- Acts prior to the inception date of the policy which were known and concealed.
- Arising from other than an insured event.
- Exemplary, punitive, or related damages.
- Professional liability.
- Medical malpractice.
- Limits of Liability: $500,000 per occurrence.
$500,000 Multi-media/Security/Privacy Liability
$500,000 Privacy Regulatory Defense & Penalties
$ 50,000 TCPA Defense
- Deductibles: $5,000 any one loss, $15,000 aggregate.